Saturday, December 13, 2008

train window- cameras etc

my reflection in the train window -bern- dec.09.2008

i left most of my cameras in Louisiana. i tried to pare down and only brought my nikon, a diana, 2 plastic vivitars, polaroid sx70, my sony video camera- 2 casio exilims. i might have thrown my old kodak pony 135 in my suitcase- it makes great double exposures. i also have an arsenal over here- my friend boris brought me a lot of old russian cameras a while back- and i have some others that i left here; a great old kowa, and maybe one of my all time favorites: a cosina.

my one big entertainment when here [europe] -when I"M not entertaining- is hitting the 2nd hand shops, and salvation army stores in search of cameras and lenses. i have gotten some real treasures. so, i know i'll be adding to the collection while here. it's a disease.

unfortunately it is so cold at the moment here in zermatt - minus 10 Celsius- that i have not been going out to shoot anything at all. i shot a bunch of digital stuff en route and from the train, but, haven't even been making photos in the hotel or the bar since i got here. i wrap up and walk out on the balcony to smoke, and shoot the matterhorn, daily... as it is just right there. but i have never been real big on landscape photography- except for the funky south.

i hope to do some night shots in bern and zurich -for the blur series- once i am off the mountain. but there are some great old barns and things here- hundreds of years old- that i should shoot; stuff i've probably already shot... since i have been coming here since the mid 90s.
[c]2008 doug duffey